Wednesday, November 22, 2006

8-29-2001

9:30 AM

Yesterday evening, we cut up one of our bed-nets and gaff taped it over the windows in our room so we could have the windows open to reduce the heat in the room. We did 2 layers of netting for added confidence that we would not have any visitors. Unfortunately, all of us woke up with sore throats and headaches. Matt has a 100.3 fever and is lying down on his bed trying to wait out the fever. I’m pretty sure I don’t have a fever, but my throat is quite red. Cool thing about having Doctor T with us, we just walk to his and complain. He diagnoses and goes from there. He gave me a container of Tylenol Sore Throat, which I plan to use because of where I am, meaning, I have been off Tylenol products for years now, but under the circumstances, treatment is treatment.

Side note: Dr. T had his wallet stolen yesterday from inside the lodge. He left it on the table in the large meeting room for just a moment while he attended to one of our party’s knees. $400 in US gone. Pastor Tom took up a collection for him from the rest of the team and the doc ended up with at least $250 - $350. That was pretty cool. Ron was seriously lit that someone had come in and violated our space.

So I was going to tell you about the Market place…

We went to the down town market place which are a series of small shops using common walls, no larger than our bathroom without shower and not that tall. There is only room enough for one person to walk through, between the two row of facing shops (think Laurel St, reduced size buildings, no street between them, but a narrow path.) Everyone sells pretty much the same stuff and calls out to me “Ahlo, ahlo, hey Boss, let me show you, I give you a discount.”

I found some killer stuff and nothing prices. I wanted to buy a chair, Debbie ended up getting it, but I wanted it but have no place to put it. I can draw it for you, the backrest has lions carved and engraved into it, and it was made of 2 pieces of wood.

There was a guy there selling chickens and when someone purchased them he just reached into the cage, took hold of one by its wings and shoved it into a plastic bag, like the bags we get from Safeway. I tripped on that.

I was looking at a carved lion for Josh; they use a stone which looks like jade with black swirls in it. Beautiful stuff. Anyway, I was at the inside corner shop and looking at this carved lion and the men asked me to make an offer. I asked what they were asking for it. We talked Kwacha and US and they wanted $80 US which is $288,000 Kwacha. I told them I would keep looking because my offer would be much too low for them to accept, they kept on me for an offer so I told them I would only spend $20 US or $72,000 Kwacha. I told them I could not be flexible on that, but did buy a couple things from them for their time, so to speak.

As we were packing ourselves into the van to leave, probably half an hour after all of that, these same 2 guys came to us at the van and asked me to reconsider and made a counter offer of $25 US and $50,000 Kwacha. I told them it was not an option for me, that I was basically out of spending money. They then offered $25.00 so I relented and bought it. Probably worth $110.00 to $130 in the US. I may have to get something else for Josh…I really like the lion…I got Missy a dress, size 6…I hope I did alright there…I think it’s cute. Found some stuff for our moms and some stuff for you. I hope you like it.

Now, on to the wedding I was going to tell you about;
While we were being driven to the Animal Park the first time, we drove behind a wedding processional that was turning into a HUGE gated home and Francis recognized some of the attendees as from his church. He then figured it was the girl he led to the lord a couple years ago and when we drove by he said that he wanted to stop by on our way back to greet her. So just a little bit after that, 30 minutes or so, we were on our way back from not getting in to the park and we pulled up to the gate and Francis called to the guard to let us in. Francis asked if it was Aida who was getting married, the guard didn’t know and let us in at Francis’s encouraging. As we drove in the front yard was gorgeous and large, green grass, sculpted trees and manicured shrubbery. On our right were two huge Rottweillers chained to the wall with big link chains. Further up the drive way we could see the ceremony or pictures being taken, we’re not sure which but it was then that Francis realized he DID NOT know this girl and said “Oops, we need to get out of here, turn the van around!” At this point the Rotty’s began to bark angrily and were being restrained by the chain’s capacity and length. We made a quick 3 point turn and drove back out. We drove out the driveway, turned Right and this home is the corner plot on this street and the main road to town, so we turned Right again to head back to town and I noticed that this home was 10 to 15 rooms, at least 3 story with major sculpting in the back yard, gardens and such, all of which you can kind of see from the road as you drive, guards walking the yard…apparently not very efficient guards, but guards none the less.

So, here we are on Wednesday morning, 10:49 AM and Billy has gone with some folks to the Mall and plans to come back and pick up Matt and me for the gig this afternoon. I stayed to rest and stay horizontal and monitor Matt who’s asleep. Poor kid. I doubt that he will be participating in today’s gig.

Some of the fun moments from yesterday was watching Matt and Travis play “Catch The Lion” with the kids, which is a local game like tag, but because there were 200 or so kids playing, its point is the person or persons run and have to be caught by multiple kids to be caught and stopped. Most of these kids stand up to the waistline of both Matt and Travis so it was funny to watch these kids call out “Woooooooooooo” as Matt and Travis took off and then they gave chase. The kids were thrilled and Matt was having a great time. I’m really proud of him too.

While Matt and Travis were playing tag with the kids at Chipata Compound, where we were mobbed upon departure, Matt came back to the stage where Billy and I were and handed us a dagger/knife (5” or 6” blade) he had found while running across the field, the filed where everyone plays barefoot and such. Death is everywhere, just more visible in some places than others.

Also, the compound was to have been watered down, but it wasn’t so end result through negotiations was that several women left with large plastic containers balancing on there heads and went to get water from a couple kilometers away, probably a ¼ to ½ mile away. They carried these back and began to throw it and spread it around on the ground where we had asked for it to be done. Matt helped with the process and began throwing the water way up in the air so it fell on all the kids that were continually following him around. They loved it and Matt was again, having a great time.

Well, I’m having a hard time concentrating so I’m going to nap for a little, waiting for the folks to come back.

I love you-
Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home